This pie is so good…definitely a show-stopper! It’s warm and delicious and goes great with a scoop of cold, vanilla ice cream or a warm cup of coffee!
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Prepare recipe for Double Pie Crust(See below). Line a 9 inch pie plate with half of the rolled out dough.
- Toss apples with lemon juice. In a large bowl, stir together the 3/4 cup of sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add apple slices and gently toss to coat.
- Place apple mixture into the pastry-lined pie plate and trim bottom pastry to the edge of the pie plate. Roll out second pie crust and cut slits in top before placing on filling. Seal and crimp edges.
- If desired, brush top pastry with milk and sprinkle with sugar for more appealing crust. To prevent edges from browning, cover just edges of pie with foil.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 40 minutes then remove foil from edges. Bake for another 20 minutes until center is bubbly and crust is nicely browned. Cool on wire rack for 3-4 hours before slicing.
See original recipe at Better Homes and Gardens.com
Double Pie Crust
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
8-10 tablespoons cold water
- Stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one dough ball. Roll dough into a 12 inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around floured rolling pin and unroll it into 9 inch pie plate. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough ball into 12 inch circle and place on top of filling. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate and fold edges of top pastry under bottom pastry.
- Crimp edges and bake as directed.